Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney
Experience:  Partner at Kent Law Group, LLC

My husband had an affair and the woman gifted music

Customer Question

My husband had an affair and the woman gifted music equipment for his business 3 years ago. She's been blackmailing him to return the equipment or tell me (his wife). He never signed a contract with her or said he would pay her back. The affair is is off but now she has filed a small claim for $5000 for equipment she purchased in 2013. Does she legally have a case? What steps should we take to get this case dismissed?
Expert:  Olivia Kent replied 7 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. I’ll be happy to help you in any way I can. This site is for educational purposes only. Sometimes - although certainly not always - experts have to give you what you deem “bad news” but that should not be a reflection of how satisfied you are with the assistance your expert provided. Experts on this site receive credit for assisting you when you click the rating (the stars) so please submit a rating prior to logging off. You aren't charged anything extra by submitting a rating.

You should respond to the case, stating that her gift was just that - a gift. And that now that she is a spurned lover she wants her gift back - and there is no basis to get it back. (It's not like it was an engagement gift given in anticipation of marriage. Please let me know if you have any other questions or you need me to clarify anything. Please also submit a rating if you're satisfied with your assistance; this will not cost you anything extra. We only get credit for the time we take assisting you if you are satisfied AND ALSO ​submit a rating. And please don't feel like we have to stop talking after you submit a rating. I'd be more than happy to continue working with you after that as well.

Hello Heather. I wanted to check in with you to make sure you had all of the information you wanted to obtain when you posted your question. Please let me know if you have any questions or need additional clarification about anything.