ScottyMacEsq, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed Texas General Practice Attorney
19487448

Is it true that if a manufacturer sells it's products

Customer Question

Is it true that if a manufacturer sells it's products through wholesalers that it is not allowed to sell it's products retail? If so does that include selling on line?
Expert:  ScottyMacEsq replied 8 months ago.

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

No, that's not true. Certain industries (new cars) cannot sell direct to consumers (retail) but for the most part they can. For the most part, however, manufacturers do not sell direct because that's not their specialty. They sell wholesale to the retailers (or through a wholesaler) who has more of a specialty marketing to consumers. This is not because of any state of the law (again, except for new cars and other very limited situations).

For example, you can go to Dell and buy a new computer. Or you can buy a Dell computer through Amazon or other brick and mortar stores. They're a manufacturer that you can buy direct from. You can buy direct from Apple (at an Apple store or online). But they also sell through wholesalers. Other times they only sell through wholesalers, etc... It just depends upon the sales strategy.

Hope that clears things up a bit. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3 or more stars). Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

Did you have any other questions before you rate this answer?

Are you there? Please note that I am still here, awaiting your response or rating... (please note that rating closes this question out, so if there's nothing else, please rate it so that I can assist other customers that are waiting for answers to their questions)

Should I continue to await your response, or may I assist the other customers that are waiting?

Hello?