Delta-Lawyer, Attorney
Experience:  10 years practicing IP law and general litigation

We are a business and several people recently left our firm.

Customer Question

hello. we are a business and several people recently left our firm. they forwarded their mail--and we received a notice from the post office confirming that they forwarded their mail. When i called the Post Ofice, they said that an individual is not supposed to be allowed to forward their mail out of a business address. so we are trying to remove the forwarding. do you know if these employees actions would be mail fraud, or if there is anything wrong with what they did (one was a former partner, the other 2 were just employees)
Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 7 months ago.

I hope this message finds you well. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of employment law and litigation experience. I also have worked in the criminal law arena as well. It is a pleasure to assist you today.

This particular rule with the USPO has less to do with criminal behavior and more to do with a lesser burden on USPO since people move in their jobs so frequently. As such, unless there was a criminal intent here to deprive your business in some capacity, there is no criminal violation here. More likely than not, they just encountered someone that did not know this rule at the USPO and they were allowed to begin that process. Again, unless there was criminal intent, there is nothing inherently wrong with what these three did.

You should be able to file paperwork with your local USPO that evidences the fact that you are a business and have a business address. In this, you can request that the forwarding cease.

Let me know if you have any other questions. Please also rate my answer positively (three or more stars) so I can receive credit for my work.

Best wishes!

Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 6 months ago.

Just checking to see if you guys had any additional questions or comments. I want to make sure you are as comfortable as possible as you move forward. Thanks