legalgems, Lawyer
Experience:  Just Answer consultant at Self employed

My name is ***** ***** I am looking to file a small claims

Customer Question

My name is ***** ***** I am looking to file a small claims (4900) suit in Boulder, co court
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I have a small business that leases space out to hair stylist. The get a four wall space for themselves and pay weekly rent. One tenant left owing 3 weeks rent or $900
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $36 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Expert:  legalgems replied 7 months ago.

Are you looking for the required documents to file a small claims complaint?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
That would be good.
What are issues I need to be aware of when filing?

Basically one would need to review the lease to see if there is an affirmative defense- some reason for not paying the rent; one example would be if the space violated public safety codes - however, typically the tenant would be required to provide notice of such to the landlord, requesting the landlord to comply with the safety code; but generally if a party uses the space and vacates without paying rent, the court will find them in violation of the tenancy and order back rent, possible future rent (for example, if the lease required one month notice to vacate and the tenant moved out without notice, they can be liable for the time the unit remained vacant, up through the one month period. The landlord does have a duty to mitigate damages, so if there was a willing party to rent the space, the landlord could not unjustly refuse).

Information on the process is located here:

instructions here:

complaint is here:

Thank you for using Just Answer.
I hope the information I provided is useful. If you need further clarification please post here and I will reply as soon as I see it; otherwise, Kindly
-Rate Positively-
This does Not result in additional charges to the customer and allows the site to credit me for assisting you today.

Thank you and take care!