Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law

My ex husband makes over $8000 a month but never has to pay

Customer Question

My ex husband makes over $8000 a month but never has to pay what he should which is 20%. He works as a ship broker, so he's self employed. Every time we go to court, he quits working for a couple of months to claim that his income has reduced or sometimes say's he's out of work. He's also used the excuse that he hurt his back for two years in a row to stop working or show reduced pay to lower child support. How can I prevent him from being able to pull these things in court and what can be done about it?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 7 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
You need to obtain proof of his income somehow. In order to convince the court to impute income to him and force him to pay, you need to present evidence to the court of this pattern of conduct you describe and then the court can "impute" or attribute the income to him and make him pay what he is supposed to pay you for his child.