Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.

My boyfriend of several yrs (lived with me yrs) who promised

Customer Question

My boyfriend of several yrs (lived with me for 5 yrs) who promised marriage throughout our relationship, was asked in a heated argument between us, to leave my home. He was verbally abusive and had up and down gambling issues off and on and recently appeared to have "cheating signs" which I confronted him with, to always get the response that he only loved me and would never do something like that even though he admitted that it appeared this way. He would blame it on anxiety which really became a convenient excuse used over and over. Our last therapist, long ago, said he was a dry drunk with skeletons in his closet which needed to be addressed and that he should have gone to a psychiatrist for further testing for this odd, intentional behavior. A few months have gone by now ( I have never spoke to him or seen him) and I have learned how much lying he had been doing. Not only was he contributing to my teenage son's chewing tobacco use but he had been taking my debit card while I slept during the night. I am overwhelmed with the lies I have recently learned more on. The act was intentional with my boy as you see, my son was a cancer patient who is currently cancer free and had gone through emotional issue's with the fear of death and started to want to try to do "everything" before he dies. So this is how the "tobacco" came into the picture and my boyfriend was well aware of my efforts to intervene and help my son to not get into this addiction. Is there anything legally I can do about this in small claims court? Living in Iowa
Expert:  Loren replied 7 months ago.

Good afternoon. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

Expert:  Loren replied 7 months ago.

Are you asking if you can sue him for giving your son chewing tobacco? How old is your son?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
as well as the amounts he took from my checking account via debit card. Please note, I prefer anonymity and wish for this not to be on the website....I did not want to pay additional fees for the phone call.
Thank you....
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
My son is now 17, this started last year when he was 16
Expert:  Loren replied 7 months ago.

Thank you for the additional information.

So long as the claim does not exceed $5000, you can sue him in small claims court in Iowa for the amount he has stolen on your debit or credit card.

I do not see a legal claim you could assert over chewing tobacco.

Expert:  Loren replied 7 months ago.

Are you still online with me?