Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney
Experience:  Partner at Kent Law Group, LLC
92304199

I was headed home from a friend's house last night. I was on

Customer Question

I was headed home from a friend's house last night. I was on the highway when a truck crowded me and I moved closer to the shoulder. An abandoned vehicle at the side of the road was there when I went to move away from the truck, I side swapped the abandoned car and took off both my mirror and its mirror. There were minor scratches and dents on my car, but not any on the abandoned car. No one was around and the shoulder it was on was incredibly dangerous to stay on. My house was only a little bit aways, so I went home and called 911. The operator said I had to go to the police station, which I did. When I went there, the cop wasn't any help. He only took the license plate of the other car. Did nothe take any info from me. He told me to put a note on the car with my name and number. When I got back to go put my info on the car, it was gone. I have no idea if I can do anything else and I'm freaking out. What do I do??
Expert:  Olivia Kent replied 8 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. I’ll be happy to help you in any way I can. This site is for educational purposes only. Sometimes - although certainly not always - experts have to give you what you deem “bad news” but that should not be a reflection of how satisfied you are with the assistance your expert provided. Experts on this site receive credit for assisting you when you click the rating (the stars) so please submit a rating prior to logging off. You aren't charged anything extra by submitting a rating.

Okay, I know you're freaking out - but STOP! You did the right thing. You went to the police station, you reported the incident. You went back and you tried to put your name and number on the car. If you haven't already, contact your insurance company and let them know what happened. And then try not to think about it. You've done everything you can at this point.

Please let me know if you have any other questions or you need me to clarify anything. Please also submit a rating if you're satisfied with your assistance; this will not cost you anything extra. We only get credit for the time we take assisting you if you are satisfied AND ALSO ​submit arating. And please don't feel like we have to stop talking after you submit a rating. I'd be more than happy to continue working with you after that as well.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Should I report it to my insurance company even if I don't have the other person's info?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Also the police officer didn't file a report. He said I had to file it with the person. He wasn't helpful and I'm not sure if this is being handled right. Without a report, how do I go to the insurance company?

You should just report the incident to your insurance even if you don't have much of the other person's info. I would try to go down to the police station and inquire about a police report; you really should try to get one if possible, but if you can't then you can't. You've done everything you can up to this point. (I don't know what "file it with the person" means...) Please let me know if you have any other questions or you need me to clarify anything. Please also submit a rating if you're satisfied with your assistance; this will not cost you anything extra. We only get credit for the time we take assisting you if you are satisfied AND ALSO ​submit arating. And please don't feel like we have to stop talking after you submit a rating. I'd be more than happy to continue working with you after that as well.

Hello! I wanted to check in with you to make sure you had all of the information you wanted to obtain when you posted your question. Please let me know if you have any questions or need additional clarification about anything.