Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  15 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

I live in Pennsylvania. Almost a year ago I purchased a

Customer Question

I live in Pennsylvania. Almost a year ago I purchased a vehicle at a local dealership ( a buy here pay here) operation. A couple days ago I found a GPS tracking device had been installed in the vehicle. I was never informed of this and in all honesty at this point I cannot confirm it was installed by the dealer but it would seem so. I have checked the papers I signed and nowhere is mentioned the use of this device. It is a bit unnerving to know that for almost a year everywhere I have gone in the vehicle has been tracked by someone. Is there any recourse here besides simply removing it?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I can also add that by trade I am a truck driver and the truck in question is used extensively in my business. Not knowing what other then location is collected it also bothers me that every trip I take in my business activity is being recorded.
Expert:  Barrister replied 8 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

Car dealers at these type of lots install GPS trackers on vehicles to keep track of the collateral for the loan simply due to the fact that they have a high percentage of defaults in the sales and then have to repo the car and want to do so easily.

.

Under the US privacy laws, such a collection and use of this type of date is permissible since the lienholder has a legitimate interest in protecting their collateral. However, if they haven't disclosed this to the buyer, to me it seems inherently wrong, even though there is no law that prohibits it.

.

So if you are asking if you can do something like sue the dealer for putting it on the car, you could do so, but likely wouldn't win anything because the dealer has a legitimate interest in tracking their collateral.

.

With that said, removing the tracker is about your only option here realistically.

.

.

thanks