Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney
Experience:  Partner at Kent Law Group, LLC
92304199

I have had diebetes 2 3 years I'm on 2 needles a day levemir

Customer Question

I have had diebetes 2 for aproximate 3 years I'm on 2 needles a day levemir 28mil , plus a longer lasting at night 1, 50ml novalog. In the beginning it was very high 900 blood sugar when I found out I had it. Then the Dr's had told me I had low blood sugar, so I had to eat complex carbs to keep it up. It would spike every now and then but very rare. I started to have pain in my foot where I could barley walk, I was diagnosed with gout. When they diagnosed me on one trip to the emergency room with gout the Dr prescribed me steroids to aliviate the gout but at the same time told me he was debating whether to give it to me because I was diebetic and all the medication I was on it would have a possible negative affect on my blood sugar. He gave the steroids to me anyway. When I took the medicine, I was throwing up, feeling dizzy upset stomach. Also most important after taking the steroids my sugar skyrocketed to the 500-800 blood sugar in and out of emergency room several times for my sugar being so high, I was on the road to recovery and had low blood sugar, now I have high blood sugar and have to take alot more milileters of the needles. I apologize for such a long story , but I wanted to give you a clear picture of what transpired. This took place in Florida. I would like to know if their is any legal course of action that I could take? If there is an action where should i go or who would take this case? I need some advise of what to do from here? Who would take this case? I don't believe it is fair for a medical dr knowing of my diebetes records being insulin dependant and such, i dont believe a dr should debate whether to prescribe steroids or not to me the patient knowing of the possible deadly side effects this could have on me but went ahead and prescribed the steroids to me anyway in spite of his medical training and knowledge.
Expert:  Olivia Kent replied 8 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. I'm also a medical doctor. That being said, I will be giving you NEITHER medical advice nor legal advice.

This site is for educational purposes only.Sometimes - although certainly not always - experts have to give you what you deem “bad news” but that should not be a reflection of how satisfied you are with the assistance your expert provided. Experts on this site receive credit for assisting you when you click the rating (the stars) so please submit a rating prior to logging off. You aren't charged anything extra by submitting a rating.

Based on what you have described you have significant complications from your diabetes... 900 blood sugar is exceptionally high. The barely being able to walk... that's diabetic neuropathy where the nerves in your feet are destroyed by the diabetes. When you arrived in the ER with pain from GOUT - a different disease entirely - I understand you were given steroids. Gout is typically treated with either steroidals or with NSAIDs (non steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs). There are advantages and disadvantages to both. When patients have comorbidities, as insulin dependent type 2 diabetes would certainly be considered, it presents additional challenges to physicians trying to treat emergency-type situations (or, rather, conditions that patients see as emergencies, which brings them to the ER). A lot of times it is a judgment call - what do you use with a particular patient when two things (or more) may be acceptable. If you hadn't been treated at all, you would have been in excruciating pain - that much we know for sure. Maybe something would have been more ideal, at this point it doesnt make sense for me to speculate; i'd just be Monday-morning quarterbacking to be honest. However, if you feel that the physician who treated you acted inappropriately you should certainly file a claim with your state medical licensing board and they will undoubtedly look into it. You could also seek out a medical malpractice attorney who wants to take your case; you'll find that many malpractice attorneys will take cases on contingency (meaning they don't get paid if you don't get paid). Your state bar association can guide you to medical malpractice attorneys. Or you can choose to decide that the person in the ER who tried to help you did the very best he could to help you, even struggling with what would be the worse-er of two (or three) evils: letting you suffer vs. potentially impacting your diabetes vs. giving you something else entirely - something that may have had its own negative side effects that were potentially worse than the side effects you experienced. Please let me know if you have any other questions or you need me to clarify anything. Please also submit a rating if you're satisfied with your assistance; this will not cost you anything extra. We only get credit for the time we take assisting you if you are satisfied AND ALSO ​submit a rating. And please don't feel like we have to stop talking after you submit a rating. I'd be more than happy to continue working with you after that as well.

Hello! I wanted to check in with you to make sure you had all of the information you wanted to obtain when you posted your question. Please let me know if you have any questions or need additional clarification about anything.