MIAMILAW1127, Lawyer
Experience:  Founding Partner at Moises Law, P.A.

I and my husband files joint income tax. We started to be

Customer Question

I and my husband files joint income tax. We started to be audited by IRS since last year and had 2 hearings. Unfortunately my husband who was involved with this is vey ill and has undergone 2 surgeries to his spine and wears a custom made brace over his torso. His surgeon provided a letter that he will need 6 months of rehabilitation. My husband is now in a Rehabilitation nursing facility. We received a report from IRS with the the taxes calculated by them without any documents and gave us 30 days to provide documents. I believe that this action is intended for healthy people, but not sick. How we can have to set aside this report until my husband is rehabilitated and schedule to continue audit hearing.
Please advise.
Sylvia Flig
Expert:  MIAMILAW1127 replied 7 months ago.

Hello. I am going to be assisting you with your question today.

Please note: This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

You can send a request to the IRS with the documentation from the doctor showing the ongoing issues with your husband and requesting an extension to respond to their calculation until that time.

I hope I have answered your questions. If I have not, please feel free to ask any follow-up questions you may have. Also, please do not forget to rate my response at your earliest convenience.

Thank you.