legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer
Experience:  Just Answer consultant at Self employed
63726236

I moved into my girlfriends apartment several years ago. I

Customer Question

I moved into my girlfriends apartment several years ago. I pay my share of the bills. I'm also covered under her work insurance which I pay additional cost. I'm actually recovering from procedure . All of a sudden she want me out. What right do I have.
Would appreciate your advice
Expert:  legalgems replied 11 months ago.

I am sorry to hear of this; a few minutes please as I look into this.

So California gives protection to long term tenants; the lack of a written lease is irrelevant; basically, the court will look to see if the person considers the residence his/her home - if so, this person is considered a tenant for purposes of eviction, and as such, the "landlord"(LL) must comply with the legal process for unlawful detainer. The LL must formally serve a 30 day Notice to Quit. After 30 days the LL has to serve a Summons and Complaint for Unlawful Detainer. The tenant has 5 days to answer. Then, generally within 3-4 weeks there will be a trial. Once the LL gets a judgment of possession it takes 1-2 weeks for the sheriff to enforce it. The tenant may move out voluntarily after receiving notice. Here is the handbook that discusses the process, and the parties' respective rights:

http://www.dca.ca.gov/publications/landlordbook/catenant.pdf

Thank you for using Just Answer.
I hope the information I provided is useful. If you need further clarification please post here and I will reply as soon as I see it; otherwise, Kindly
-Rate Positively-
This does Not result in additional charges to the customer and allows the site to credit me for assisting you today.

Thank you and take care!