Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.

I recd a summons and need to respond by today. It states

Customer Question

I recd a summons and need to respond by today.
It states "Declaratory relief; cancellation of instrument and to impress an equitable lien"
Not sure what all this means and what to do, but I have deadline TODAY
Expert:  LawTalk replied 7 months ago.

Good morning Maggie,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. I have been a CA licensed attorney for more than 30 years.

This seems like a very crucial matter for you, as well as essentially an emergency given that today is your deadline date, and your questions and issues suggest that an in-depth conversation might best suit your needs.

What you are asking for is all but impossible to respond to adequately in this written format given the time element you are facing and the complexity of the suit you gave been served with, and in my experience is only practical to approach in a phone conversation.

If you are interested, for a very nominal charge I can offer you a phone conference as opposed to continuing in this question and answer thread. If you are not interested just let me know and I will be happy to opt out. Perhaps someone else would be willing to tackle your emergency request.