Chris T., JD
Chris T., JD, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in both state and federal court.
45002201

My grandson is being forced to drive a semi without cdl

Customer Question

my grandson is being forced to drive a semi without cdl license.He has complained to employer but they have him doing it today.He doesn't feel safe for himself or other driver's
JA: The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: not yet can not afford one
JA: Please give me a bit more information, so we can help you best.
Customer: I would have to get more info from my grandson.
JA: OK. The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Is there anything else the Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: My grandson is worried about his job and can he be sued if he causes an accident because of his lack of training on a big rig
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and connect you two.
Expert:  Chris T., JD replied 8 months ago.

Hello. I'll be happy to assist you.

What state is your grandson in?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
florida
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
are you there?

OK. Thanks for the information.

First off, he should refuse to drive without a CDL. Not only is it against the law, but he could be held civilly or even criminally liable if he were to cause an accident while driving.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
That is what he was worried about.What are his options concerning his employer?

Most states have enacted a public policy exception to wrongful termination cases. That means that in most states, it is illegal to fire someone for refusing to break a law. Unforunately, Florida is one of the seven states that have not enacted such a law. In other words, his employer COULD fire him for refusing to drive without a CDL. However, if they did, he could report them to the state for forcing people to drive without a CDL, and they could face sanctions, although he probably wouldn't get his job back.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
That doesn't sound fair but if that is the law.Does he have any other options?

I agree. It's not fair, and 43 other states have recognized that and passed laws to prevent this from happening. Unfortunately, like I said, for whatever reason, Florida has not passed that sort of law.

As far as his other options, he really has three that I can see: 1) refuse to drive without a CDL, and possibly get fired; 2) continue to drive for that company without his CDL and take the risk, but keep his job; or 3) strike some sort of deal with the company where he agrees to drive for them, but only after he gets his CDL.

Do you have any questions? If so, feel free to ask. If not, please remember to "Rate" my answer before you go.