Richard, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with 29 years of experience.
17027240

My husband of 20 yrs recently passed away and on the same

Customer Question

My husband of 20 yrs recently passed away and on the same day I found out he was having an affair. In his gun safe I found letters written to him and signed by his mistress with one specifically stating that this letter could be used how ever he seen fit at any future date. He had no will and no assesst not assigned. I received a letter from an attorney demanding these letters back by her, my question is, do I have to return them since they were to my husband
Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.

Good afternoon. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you.

You absolutely do not have any obligation to return these letters. These letters belonged to your husband and are part of his estate. Even with no will, this mistress has no legal entitlement to any of your husband's assets, including these letters. You can, should you choose, return them, but you are under no legal obligation to do so. Once sent, the mistress' control over these letters ended. That does not change because your husband has now died. I'm sorry for all you're going through with this and will certainly keep you in my prayers!!

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!