How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Attorney at Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 27009
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Sam is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Our Mom owns her own condo but her son had moved in and

Customer Question

Our Mom owns her own condo but her son had moved in and won't leave. We recently found out he is using meth and is most likely cooking it at her residence. He is known for being abusive and threatening to her and we want him out of her place ASAP and to keep her safe. What is our best way of doing so? If we get a PPO can he be removed from the residence immediately or do we still have to file eviction papers?
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Sam replied 10 months ago.


This is Samuel and I will​ discuss this and provide you information in this regard.

Yes. I suggest getting a PPO is the most efficient process for a temporary removal. There will be a hearing and he can go to court and state why he should not be removed from the home. If the judge agrees with him, then he will be permitted back into the home. But in the meantime, your Mother would need to file eviction proceedings.

Expert:  Sam replied 10 months ago.

So your Mother will need to hand him a written 30 day notice to vacate to start the eviction. She can do that before she files for the PPO or after it is served.

Expert:  Sam replied 10 months ago.

After he has been given the 30 day Notice to vacate, if he does not, then she can go to court and get the documents need to begin eviction. When she applies for the PPO she needs to state that she is in fear of her safety and well being. She should be prepared to give examples of how he is threatening and she can state she believes he is cooking meth in her home and why.

Expert:  Sam replied 10 months ago.

​Please let me know if you have other questions, need clarification or more information. Otherwise, a positive rating here ensures I get credit for my time and information.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Do we have to physical give him the notice or can it be mailed. We are afraid of how he will react when she gives it to him. We don't want him becoming violent and with his drug use and history is totally possible
Expert:  Sam replied 10 months ago.

You can mail it to him, if you believe he will accept the mailed letter. And the letter can simply say something to the effect of This is a 30 day Notice t​o Vacate the premises of ADDRESS. A failure to do so will result in an eviction filed against you.

Expert:  Sam replied 10 months ago.

If it is mailed, it should be done certified with a return receipt requested so that you can show he received it. Otherwise, if you are concerned for your safety, I suggest you can get the PPO and then ask the sheriff or other local law enforcement to "stand by" while the Notice is handed to him.

Expert:  Sam replied 10 months ago.

You can make it a 7 day notice to vacate under Michigan law here at this LINK under (d)

Expert:  Sam replied 10 months ago.

Your Mother also can use this form and she can check "other" and state that she does not want him there any longer because she is concerned for her well being.

Expert:  Sam replied 10 months ago.

That form will allow her to mail it first class and then attest to the same in front of a Notary.

Related Legal Questions