Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney
Experience:  Partner at Kent Law Group, LLC

My friend brought her jeep into a mechanic to see what was

Customer Question

My friend brought her jeep into a mechanic to see what was causing her problem. Apparently they found a few things wrong, AND now, REFUSE to release her jeep back to her, saying it's unsafe to drive. She has numerous family member mechanics, that could fix it for her ALOT cheaper. Can a mechanic hold some ones vehicle hostage like this? Thanks
Expert:  Olivia Kent replied 7 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. I’ll be happy to help you in any way I can. This site is for educational purposes only. Experts on this site receive credit for assisting you when you click the rating (the stars) so please submit a rating prior to logging off. You aren't charged anything extra by submitting a rating. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms. I've heard several stories of mechanics essentially holding vehicles "hostage"... I suspect a lot of this is due to their concerns that you will drive out of their facility and cause an accident. My suggestion to you would be to do two things:

1. Mail and hand-deliver a certified letter stating that you do not authorize them to make any changes to your car and you will NOT pay for any charges

and also

2. Arrange to have the car towed to another garage where you are thinking of having the work done. That way they can't say they're concerned about liability issues stemming from you driving off the lot with the faulty whatever-it-is.

Please let me know if you have any questions or you need me to clarify anything. Please also submit a rating if you're satisfied with your assistance; this will not cost you anything extra. We only get credit for the type we take assisting you if you are satisfied AND ALSO ​submit a rating. And please don't feel like we have to stop talking after you submit a rating. I'd be more than happy to continue working with you after that as well.

#2 has its risks as well. Some tow truck drivers won't come onto private property - so what I'm suggesting is negotiating with the mechanic to LEGALLY have the car towed - not a sneaky, grab the car in the middle of the night move that will get you into trouble. Remember, you don't want to add to the headache that is this situation with allegations of trespass and the like. I hope that clarifies things.

Hello! I wanted to check in with you to make sure you had all of the information you wanted to obtain when you posted your question. Please let me know if you have any questions or need additional clarification about anything.