Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.

The police entered my home with no warrant this past Friday.

Customer Question

The police entered my home with no warrant this past Friday. They saw my car in my front yard which got stuck in the front ditch. No accident, just slipped off the gravel and the car got stuck. I went to bed and woke up with three police officers inside my home. Scary...
I asked if they had a warrant and they said no but had the right to enter because i left the scene of an accident. I told them there was no accident and they had no right to enter my home or question me. They left, then today there is a notice on my door of a civil summons.
Expert:  Roger replied 7 months ago.

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'm licensed in Tennessee. I'll be glad to assist.

It may be that the officers had probable cause to enter the home to make sure you were ok/that nothing was wrong given the fact that your car was in the ditch in your front yard.

However, if there was no accident, then you certainly should be charged with leaving the scene. What is the civil summons for?