Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

Trying to find a lawyer to help recover personal property.

Customer Question

Trying to find a lawyer to help recover personal property. The driver of the LYFT (transport service) has indicated that he has my smart phone, and asked for my address to return my personal property. After providing both LYFT and the driver with my physical address there has been radio silence, and it's now day 5. Legally, can I compel LYFT to get their driver to return my personal property, or what legal measures can I take in order to compel the driver to return my personal property. As you might know, LYFT doesn't have a customer service telephone number and largely only communicates through e-mail. In an attempt to get back my personal property I am looking to LYFT----as the employer of this driver----and since LYFT and UBER, and services like these, don't want the attention of defining their drivers (for ex. contractors, workers, PT), I am willing to confront the issue in attempt to reclaim my personal property or compel the service to get their driver to do the right thing. I have notified both LYFT and the LYFT's driver that I am expecting some form of communication on the status of returning my personal property, after receiving the e-mail from the driver confirming that he has it in his possession.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If you have communicated with them and the driver acknowledges that he has the phone, but has now not returned it, this is a THEFT and you can report it to the police. You need to send LYFT an email informing them that if you do not get your phone back in 2 days from the date of your email, the next communication would be that you would have to notify the police, as it has already been 5 days. If they still do not return the phone, report it to the police as stolen and turn over the email showing he acknowledged having your phone and still has not returned it.
Most of the time, the police can convince them to return it and can get the driver's information to track him down to facilitate that. If not, your final recourse is to sue the driver and LYFT as well for not just the value of the phone, but all of the costs you incurred from him taking the phone and not returning it to you. You do not need a lawyer to sue, you can sue in small claims court without an attorney. A lawyer on this would cost you about $1000 or so to handle such a small case and it is not going to be worth that to you and most times the police can resolve it.