Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989

I stole someones identity. i used their name and information

Customer Question

i stole someones identity. i used their name and information to obtain a credit card. i used the credit card to make purchases in total of 7000.00$.
the persons whos identity i stole lives in new york and i live in michigan. the items i purchased were sent to my address where i live i want to know if and how i can get caught and what i should do. what penalties could i be facing. how does the proccess work if they press charges since they are located in another state. how can law enforcement verify it was me that used the card? is there a way i can get away with it provided the information above?
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 7 months ago.

This would be a felony theft offense in Michigan and you could also get charged with the possession of stolen property as a felony. If the person whose card was used spots the fraud and reports the use of his card as unauthorized, the card carrier will look at the purchases and see that they were all shipped to you.

That may not be enough for them to prove you were the one who used the card beyond a reasonable doubt, but it is good enough to get you arrested and charged. From there, what will happen will depend on the skill of the DA and your lawyer. It could also be prosecuted as a Federal offense, as the parcels entered the stream of interstate commerce, though typically, the Feds would leave a $7,000 crime to the state to go forward with.

In short, the odds of your getting arrested if the owner of the card complains, is very high. The odds of you getting convicted will depend on all the facts and circumstances of the case and the skills of the lawyers involved

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
thanks for you reply . but what should i do. if convicted what will i be looking at
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 7 months ago.

You should do nothing as there is nothing to do. If you are contacted by the police, do not discuss the use of the card. Just tell them you will wait to speak to a lawyer first, and then go find one.

First theft offenders on a case like this can usually get a probation deal and avoid jail.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
if this does happen, what would it cost me ?
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 6 months ago.

I don't understand what you mean. I have told you the likely penalty would be probation. Can you put what you want to know in different words? Are you asking what a fine could be? Are you asking for the price of a lawyer?