Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  15 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs

Who pays expenses of the losing contingency lawer

Customer Question

who pays expenses of the losing contingency lawer
Expert:  Barrister replied 7 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

In most situations the contract controls who pays for what. If the contract just states that the costs get paid out of any recovery, then if there is no recovery, the attorney just has to eat those expenses.

That is why most attorneys will thoroughly review a case prior to taking it on a contingency basis to make sure it is a strong case because they don't want to get stuck with the costs if they lose.

However, I have seen contingency fee contracts that make the client responsible for administrative costs and things like expert witness costs, deposition costs, etc. whether they win or lose.

So the contract controls.