Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

RE: Writ of Certiorari .S. Supreme Court. The district court

Customer Question

RE: Writ of Certiorari for U.S. Supreme Court.
The district court judge did not issue an opinion with the final judgment however he did issue opinions on pre-trial motions (i.e. for summary judgment). Do I include the these in the "Opinion Below" section?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 10 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
You need to include everything that was submitted in the case in the court below. As far as the judge not providing a written opinion on the final judgment, you need to file a motion for conclusions of law and findings of fact (asking for a written opinion) which you are entitled to receive. That would be then included in the record on appeal together with the transcript of the hearing as well.
You would include all of the written opinions for the opinion below as well as what was said in the oral judgment from the transcript. You still need to file a motion though to ask he court for the written opinion of the court.