Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law

What states offer common law marriage? can I get money from

Customer Question

What states offer common law marriage? can I get money from my ex husband we were married 32 years and had 4 children all married. I live in a senior home.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 7 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Texas is a state that recognizes a common law marriage formed within the state of Texas. They call it an informal marriage. It requires you to prove that you lived together as husband and wife with an intent to be married and you held yourself out to the public as being married the whole time. If you are in an informal marriage in Texas, you would be entitled to share in community property of all property and assets acquired during the informal marriage and also could be entitled to spousal support based on the long term marriage.
It does not matter what states offer common law marriage, it matters that at the time you formed your informal marriage you were in a state that recognizes them. The following states still recognize common law marriages if formed within their state, Alabama, Colorado, District of Columbia, Kansas, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Iowa, Montana, Utah and Texas. Also, in GA if you formed the common law marriage before 1/1996 or Idaho before 1/1997, the common law marriage would be recognized.