Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

SIX YEARS OLD AND I NOW GET 40.00SNAPS AND BEFORE WHEN I WAS

Customer Question

I AM SEVENTY-SIX YEARS OLD AND I NOW GET 40.00SNAPS AND BEFORE WHEN I WAS
WORKING I GOT 828.00.I am not working now get 40.00 a month. Please let me know what I need to do. My name is***** live in a senior apartment at 8624 Winkler apt 2119 and pay 587.00 a month ,my car note 315.00. I need the snap for the month.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 8 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Your SNAP benefit is based on your total income and assets. So if you believe you are not receiving sufficient benefits (we cannot review your financial statement here) you need to go in person to the social services office with all of your financial records and you need to present them the proof of your assets and ask for them to recalculate your benefits. You have a right to also appeal if they make a decision you disagree with and you can do so by sending them written request for an appeal and you would be able to appear before an administrative hearing officer for a decision.
If you would like legal assistance in doing this, you can go to your local legal aid office or also your local senior center many times have attorneys who work pro bono to assist seniors in these matters.
Do not call social services, you need to go in there personally with your information for a recalculation.