LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I am a practicing attorney with more than 30 years of experience in the legal field.
15277592

Co signer stole my car

Customer Question

Co signer stole my car
Expert:  LawTalk replied 8 months ago.

Good evening Peter,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

1. Did you call police?

2. Are they also a registered owner of the vehicle?

3. Id the vehicle have a loan against it?

4. Why would your co-signor take the vehicle? Certainly you didn't default on the payments or insurance, did you?

5. What state are you in?

6. Is the co-signor a friend, spouse, employer or??

Doug

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
they told me it was a civil matter ..I am registered owner of the vehicle. Question 3 not sure what that means . I had the car parked at her house because of a insurance lasp in her garage. When it was ok for me to drive it after the 90 days she then told me no I can't have my car because she's wants her name off of the loan . But I paid every payment she made not one payment on the car . Then told her farther about the situation and the farther took the car to hide it from me and the bank .. I'm in New York co sin is a high school friend .. Her dad owns buissnes not to far from my house . I believe the car is there. 18,000 thousand I invested in this car I lost my job I begged her to give the car back cause I didn't want to fall behind on payments she didn't care. So now I have a court date in May with her and the farther .
Expert:  LawTalk replied 8 months ago.

Good evening Peter,

Sorry about question 3....My bad.... I intended to write "Is there a loan against the vehicle?

You wrote: I had the car parked at her house because of a insurance lasp in her garage. What do you mean? How does her garage cause a lapse in your insurance?

Did you agree---when she co-signed---that you would keep insurance on the vehicle?

When it was ok for me to drive it after the 90 days What 90 days are you talking about? What does a 90 day period have to do with this situation?

Were you the primary on the loan? Are you sure that she is a co-signor---with no legal rights in the car---or was she a co-borrower with the same liability on the debt as you had?

Who initiated the lawsuit that you say she and her father are involved in? You or her?

What are you trying to accomplish? What is the lawsuit about---and I mean who sued whom and based on what cause of action---Breach of Contract? Tell me more about this situation, please.

This seems like a very crucial matter for you, and your questions and issues suggest that an in-depth conversation might best suit your needs. If you are interested, for a nominal charge I can offer you a private phone conference as opposed to continuing in this question and answer thread which is searchable and viewable by the public.

If you don't want a call and want to continue in this thread in writing, then let me know. But I have to tell you that the situation is so complex and fact intensive that I'm not sure how much I can assist you without the ability to do a lot of back and forth with this conversation.

Doug

Expert:  LawTalk replied 8 months ago.

Hi Peter,

I know that I am asking a lot of questions, but I am trying to find a winning case here for you. Co-signor issues are always complicated---but the fact that you have not missed a car payment (if that is truly a fact) is a great start. Telling me that she hasn't made a payment though means very little. The only way she would be asked to make a payment on a repossessed car is if your default and the car is repo'ed and then sold at a loss. Only then would the lender demand payment from her as a co-signor.

Do consider the phone call offer if you want a truly helpful answer. I can't guarantee you a good outcome, but only that you will understand where you stand and your rights compared to hers.

Doug

Expert:  LawTalk replied 8 months ago.

Hi Peter,

You have not responded to me, yet I can see that you are reading what I am writing. Should I presume that you have no desire to continue further? If you do want to continue, I need your cooperation soon, as I am getting ready to leave my office for the night. If you don't want help any more, please let me know so I won't leave for the evening, leaving you and your issues hanging until tomorrow.

Thanks in advance for the courtesy of your reply.

Doug

Expert:  LawTalk replied 8 months ago.

Good evening,

I think that I understand your message of silence.

Under the circumstances I won't be able to further assist you in this matter, and I am going to opt out of your question.

Your question is being placed back in the question list for other professionals to see, and to respond to. You do not have to stay online for the question to be active. Should another professional pick it up, you should be alerted by email unless you actively disable this feature.

There is no need for you to reply at this time as this may "lock" your question back to me, thus inadvertently delaying other professionals' access to it.

Good luck to you.

Doug