Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  15 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

What does" in my opinion mean" in real estate contract

Customer Question

What does" in my opinion mean" in real estate contract instead of "according to Florida law"
I feel I'am being manipulated with subtle language
Thank You
Barry Meyer
Expert:  Barrister replied 8 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

That just means that the person making the statement is just giving you their best guess about what the outcome of an event will be, but they don't have anything like black letter law to base their feelings on.

.

So it is their "guesstimate" about what will happen.

.

And for what it is worth, I have never seen any language in a real estate contract that stated "in my opinion" and I have been a landlord for 26 years, a real estate attorney for 15 and a Realtor for 12. So that sets off some red flags and alarm bells for me and apparently does for you as well..

.

.

thanks