Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

Can I file my own Motion To Quash Subpoena? I am unemployed

Customer Question

Can I file my own Motion To Quash Subpoena? I am unemployed and I am not involved in any lawsuit. My bank has received a Federal Civil Subpoena to get copies of my bank records. I believe my former employer is being sued. The deadline is today.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only/
Yes, for this type of situation, you can file your own motion to quash the subpoena for your bank records. Even though this sample motion may be more complex than you need, it is being provided for the purpose of you seeing the format of the motion and what your motion needs to look like (all federal pleadings are the same, does not matter what state it is from). See: http://moritzlaw.osu.edu/electionlaw/litigation/documents/PlaintiffsMotiontoQuashSubpoena.pdf
You file it with the clerk of the federal court and you send a copy to the bank and to the other party who obtained the subpoena.