Delta-Lawyer, Attorney
Experience:  10 years practicing IP law and general litigation

My grand daughter (9)and myself were awarded a sum of money

Customer Question

My grand daughter (9)and myself were awarded a sum of money in my son's wrongful death suit. My grand daughters family on her mother's side, want these funds and don't belive i should have a say in how its spent for her or that I'm entitled to any of it. What dose the law say in these types of situations
Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 7 months ago.

I hope this message finds you well, present circumstances excluded. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of litigation experience. It is a pleasure to assist you today.

If you filed the law suit in your name, and the award was to you and your grand daughter, then you are the person that is legally entitled to the money (as well as your grand daughter). In this situation, in most cases, if the grand daughter is a minor, the money due to her (typically 50% of the total award) will be placed into a trust until she reaches a certain age. You can have a trust administrator that can disburse money as needed until she reaches adulthood.

In short, though, if you were awarded this by name by a court, then the money is only yours and your grand daughter's money, period.

Let me know if you have any other questions or comments. Please rate my answer positively (three or more stars).

Best wishes and I am sorry for your loss.

Just checking to see if you have any additional questions. I want to make sure you are as comfortable as possible as you move forward. Thanks!