Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  16 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

I was in a relationship years with my ex boyfriend and we

Customer Question

I was in a relationship for 5 years with my ex boyfriend and we had our finances combined for 4 years. I put a lot of money into a house we bought together which is only in his name. He has since decided that he is not going to reimburse me half of all the money I put into the house. Do I have any legal way to get some money?
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

Did you have any type of agreement about you getting reimbursed for anything you put into the house?

.

Did you pay rent to him while you were living there?

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello we had verbally agreed to him paying me 15,000, yes I paid on the mortgage the entire time I was living there. All of our finances were combined besides our own savings accounts.
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Ok, then if you can prove what you put into the house and that there was an agreement to reimburse you, then you can sue him under a breach of contract claim. This is over the small claims court limit, so you would need to hire an attorney to represent you in suing him.

.

Logically it wouldn't make sense to a judge for you to gift him your money to improve his house with no expectation of repayment or reimbursement. So the story makes sense to me and should to a judge.

.

.

thanks