Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  16 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

I was in a relationship years with my ex boyfriend and we

Customer Question

I was in a relationship for 5 years with my ex boyfriend and we had our finances combined for 4 years. I put a lot of money into a house we bought together which is only in his name. He has since decided that he is not going to reimburse me half of all the money I put into the house. Do I have any legal way to get some money?
Expert:  Barrister replied 11 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

Did you have any type of agreement about you getting reimbursed for anything you put into the house?

.

Did you pay rent to him while you were living there?

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hello we had verbally agreed to him paying me 15,000, yes I paid on the mortgage the entire time I was living there. All of our finances were combined besides our own savings accounts.

Ok, then if you can prove what you put into the house and that there was an agreement to reimburse you, then you can sue him under a breach of contract claim. This is over the small claims court limit, so you would need to hire an attorney to represent you in suing him.

.

Logically it wouldn't make sense to a judge for you to gift him your money to improve his house with no expectation of repayment or reimbursement. So the story makes sense to me and should to a judge.

.

.

thanks