Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing Attorney with 10 years experience
91018665

Austin I entered a local election and am one of several

Customer Question

Austin I entered a local election and am one of several people included on a mailer to the public with derogatory information. I went to the company and obtained the invoice for the mailer. I want to know if I can issue a subpoena to get the email address, phone number, and credit card information of the individual(s) who ordered the mailer and paid for the mailer. This may be the work of several people
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: The mailer had a couple of statements that we broke campaign law - we already know we did not but then went on to state derogatory information about the personal lives of two candidates - very distasteful
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $36 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 8 months ago.

I am very sorry to hear this. I worked with a candidate who had something similar done to him as well. You would probably need to file suit against that company in order for the judge to order them to disclose any additional parties who may be liable here. Other than that, you would have a tough time getting a subpoena issued. While false information is certainly cause for a claim for slander or defamation just realize that the standard to get monetary damages for someone in a public election are higher. The courts impose a higher more difficult standard for defamation claims for public figures.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hello and thank you for the response, I am not seeking monetary damages as I suspect one of the people involved lives in his parents basement - can't squeeze blood out of a turnip. My goal is to discover who paid for the flyer. Do you think a local attorney could subpoena the information for me? Thanks.
A local lawyer can make a demand but he would likely have to file suit to force them to comply.