Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney

I wrote a check to a supplier of mine in the state of Oregon

Customer Question

I wrote a check to a supplier of mine in the state of Oregon with no dates on it; and also wrote on the check" Do not deposit until I authorize to ensure funds are in the account". I have not been able to honor the check due to a garnishment. The supplier has since filed a police report has told the supplier to send me a 10 day demand notice, where the police officer advised me he would refer it to the DA if wasn't paid. Is this a criminal offense as there was no intent to defraud and they haven't tried to cash it.
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 7 months ago.

Hello. My name is***** am a US licensed attorney and I will be happy to answer your question.
I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.
Please note, I cannot comment on your specific situation, as this services is only limited to general information and for any legal advice / legal service you should contact your local attorney.

Generally, if a check is issued and the bank account on which the check is drawn doesn't have the funds to cover the check, regardless as what is written on the check or whether the check has a date, can be treated as a criminal matter by police and DA and unless the check is made good, criminal felony charges can be filed.

I am very sorry to provide you with this bad news, but please understand that I do have professional obligation to provide customers with correct answers, even when answer is not favorable to the customer.

I wish you the best of luck and God bless you!

Please let me know if you have any related follow up questions?

If not, please positively rate and accept my answer, so I can be compensated for my work.

Thank you.