Chris T., JD
Chris T., JD, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in both state and federal court.

My son was shot. Lots of things happened and didn't happen

Customer Question

My son was shot. Lots of things happened and didn't happen that were incompetent and it was not investigated. It is now bring investigated but by the very officer that was not there to know what all took place send just assumed along with officers there first. The who,e traumatic accident .. Was not investigated it's been a year until being investigated n now we learn that pics are not there of part of the accident that are of importance and the paper dork wasn't finished the night if accident and the officer quit before finishing a report the DA says there is no report the sheriff is avoiding my family snd disgusted that we are asking questions . My son was shot after a wreck in which he was not driving! He was hinting opening day deer season nov 2014.... With 2 rifles and the death certificate has been amended not once but 2-3 times !! Clothing of my sons washed!! A tire from baby of truck ( spare) was down road with blood and now no one had pics or took it as evidence , I seen tire along with my husband and officers n we were told it was Ptolemy deer blood! But no deer ..??? ... My son had thousand $ give r take at that time snd not one dollar in wallet or on him he had multiple things we think of that are missing snd a friend officer washed his hoody he had on that day and gathered belonging for us. He was an officer off duty n told not to go. I asked this so called friend of my sons what happen to his things snd the main thing I want he said my son gave him! He has list my respect in this case forever ... Idk who to trust too many things are wrong!! It's common sense to me!
Expert:  Chris T., JD replied 7 months ago.

Hello. I'll be happy to assist you.

First off, I'm very, very sorry for your loss. It certainly sounds like the police didn't go a great job of investigating. So I can assist you better, what is your question?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
What can I do ?!

Sorry for the delay getting back with you. I was away from my computer all day.

Are you wanting to take action against the police department? I just need a little bit of clarity on what your goals are.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I'm sorry that whole text was a very mixed up one ... I had too many mistakes and I know it was hard to make sense of it!!! The matter itself is a big unfortunate set of musfortunate and pie judgement and lack of duty and professional conduct on all law enforce involved and is only escalated in my opinion and I have very knowledgeable people agree but no one will help ! There has to b someone that can do something!! It's an ongoing problem here in Leflore county Oklahoma... Okla hiway patrol also !!! The OSBI just as well.. Sadly!!!!! I just need to have the " badges" that think they can convince me of their job duties that they have done everything and se to helpbwhenbits totally obvious it was a circus and lack of job duties from the very second it was called in!!! Yes the legal authorities involved need held accountable in every mishap! I asked questions and got degraded!!!! I was and am being harassed I feel instead of being helped! The sheriff is accusing me of accusing them of cover up! Not the case! I am only asking questions and asking why all the contradictions...?!??? I was told to quit my job n quit listening to people.,! The friends my had in the law enforcement wanted to help were offered other jobs and pushed out of the office and the ones stayed on are covered and protected because the role they played should not b an issue!!' And is the very damaging part of the center of this stupidity!?!!

In order to sue the police for making mistakes in a case, you have to prove that they intentionally made those mistakes. In other words, you have to prove that they tanked the case on purpose. They have governmental immunity for honest mistakes, even if they were mistakes they should not have made. It is very difficult to win a suit like that. With that said, just bringing the suit and taking depositions will expose their negligent work and may answer some of your questions, but you should know going in that you are unlikely to actually win the suit.