How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey, JD Your Own Question
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 26425
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Zoey, JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How dose a person recover money already sent to american

Customer Question

how dose a person recover money already sent to american money corp
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.


There are scam and rip-off reports about American Money Corp all over the web. Did you fall for a lottery scam? They purportedly are based in Jamaica, where they are outside of the reach of US law and US consumer protection agencies.

If you paid them by credit card, you can contact your card carrier and see if they will let you do a chargeback. If you wired them via MoneyGram or Western Union, you can consider your money gone.

If you can find these folks, you can sue them in Jamaica, West Indies, but that probably won't be cost effective, even if they are really where they say they are, which is very doubtful. Thieves don't give out their real addresses.

So report the scam to your police and to the FBI at their Internet Crime Complaint Center at The FBI is partnered there with Interpol, so your information will be distributed to law enforcement agencies throughout the world.

The odds that anyone will find these people are nearly zero. Scammers know how to disappear into cyberspace because everything they tell you about themselves is a lie. But as the victim of a crime, your unreimbursed losses are tax deductible. So even in the worst case scenario, you'll get something back in the form of a deduction when you file next year's taxes.