Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters

I have been receiving benefits from a short term group

Customer Question

I have been receiving benefits from a short term group disability policy since April of 2014. I was initially turned down for SSDI and am in the process of an appeal. My benefits end in one month. If I am eventually approved for SSDI after my short term group policy has ended, do I still have to pay anything back?
Expert:  Roger replied 7 months ago.

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

You can apply for SSDI while receiving short term or long term disability.....and it's often a good idea to do this in order to make sure you don't go without income for a period of time (between the end of your disability and approval of disability). Here's a good link you can read:

Expert:  Roger replied 7 months ago.

But, you generally cannot collect both full SSDI and full short term disability at the same you'd need to report that income to the Social Security Administration if you were approved.

Expert:  Roger replied 7 months ago.

So, if you were approved for SSDI, you'd need to disclose the income from your short term disability provider.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
What does "generally" unable to collect both mean? In what situation would you be able to?
Expert:  Roger replied 7 months ago.

Some states vary on application.....and there is never an absolute in the law (plus I don't know all of the particular facts of your situation) I wouldn't say anything more than "generally". But, you shouldn't expect to be able to collect both in full.

Expert:  Roger replied 7 months ago.

Please let me know if you need anything further. Also, please take time to positively rate our conversation so I may receive credit for assisting. Thanks again!