Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law

I was a client at a halfway house in colorado, letters were

Customer Question

I was a client at a halfway house in colorado, letters were taken from my property that were from my girlfriend at that time, she was also a former employee of that halfway house, this letter did not identify who she was and the letter was taken after my termination from their program. per CDOC Administrative regulation 300-06 page 11 points Q and R states: "When a cell is searched a 'shakedown list' form 300-06a will be completed. if items are confiscated they will be listed; if an item is not confiscated the contraband slip will reflect such. The yellow copy goes to the offender as a receipt and the original goes to the living unit doc employee in charge so that it can be logged..Point R when contraband has been found or confiscated from an offender an incident report describing when and where the contraband was found and a pcdcis evidence report will be completed. i never received such documentation..letters were used against another
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
do I have a case against them for illegal siezure, and invasion of privacy/breach of confidentiality due to the fact that D.O.R.A recieved my personal information of which shouldve be kept confidential. I am very motivated to file suit for damages received not knowing who read very sensitive and personal information without notification, as well as using this information that was obtained illegally in the defimation of another, entrapment so to speak, i would really like to explain better in a conversation..thankyou
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
what document do I need to file with the courts as a motion of intent or other petition for the courts to hear my case
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 7 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Because these halfway houses are intermediary living arrangements instead of remaining in prison, they have very strict guidelines and there is very limited right to any privacy. The residents give up their right to privacy and give up their right to be free from search and seizure without a warranty for as long as they are living in these facilities.
If the letters were found during a search they have every right to conduct, but the information was not used against you, then you would not have the right to sue. The party who the letters were used against would have the right to try to sue for using information in the letters against them, since it is this other party who has been harmed by the information in the letters.
Please keep using reply here and do not open new questions for the same issue.
You asked in follow up:
First, I do know that they are allowed to search anything at any time without my permission. However, if things are taken as contraband, a contraband slip, no matter where you are, whether it is the county jail, DOC or a halfway house, they are still contracted by DOC and I have a right to be notified of seizure. Not only that, this letter was taken from me after termination from the program. At this point, I was no longer a client, all of my property was to be packed up and returned. Being that nothing that I had, including the letter, could be deemed contraband or as use for evidence for any type of proceedings. Furthermore, I was a client for treatment purposes and was protected under confidentiality through DORA. These letters were sent to DORA as evidence against a former employee, revealing to DORA my identity, it is my understanding that this is a breach of my confidentiality.
You have no right to privacy through the halfway house. If they disclosed your confidential treatment history or your personal medical information, then this would be a violation of DORA. So if that is the information disclosed, then you would have grounds to sue under that claim for disclosing your treatment information.