Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
11068102

My life partner, Yvonne, has bone cancer and is on Hospice

Customer Question

My life partner, Yvonne, has bone cancer and is on Hospice Care. She has gone down hill so fast that she can no longer understand and sign a Durable Power of Attorney here in Florida. What steps would be required to give me the Power of Attorney to manage her affairs. I am already her surrogate for medical matters. Her legal husband is supportive for me to be her Power of Attorney.
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 8 months ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts.

Unfortunately, there is no way that you can be granted her Power of Attorney if she is not competent. A POA can only be granted by the person it covers and they must understand what they are signing and the consequences of signing it.

Your only option would be to hire an attorney and go to court to ask the court to make you her guardian. The court would almost certainly do that and it would give you all of the powers you get with a POA plus additional ones.