CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
71563194

My property floods when it rains since La Paz County

Customer Question

My property floods when it rains since La Paz County re-surfaced the street in front of my house. My property is now lower elevation than the street. What are my options? Bill
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 8 months ago.

The first step is to file an administrative claim with the County (you can do this either with the streets department or the County Counsel (the County's attorney)). This is how most claims against public entities are resolved, the County will generally evaluate the situation, come up with an engineering fix for the problem, and you can negotiate compensation for any damage that occurred.

If that fails to resolve the problem, you can then sue the County for damages and injunctive relief (a court order requiring the county to maintain their improvements (the road) in such a way that they are no longer damaging private property.