Legalease
Legalease, Lawyer
Experience:  15 years exp all aspects of general law
20355756

I have requested the surgery center which operated on me to

Customer Question

I have requested the surgery center which operated on me to provide me with a UB04 and was informed they do not provide copies of these to patients. As this is a copy of my medical records and the billing being sent to my Insurance company for these procedure should I not be entitled to receive a copy of this document?
Expert:  Legalease replied 8 months ago.

Hello there --

-

While there are no specific laws stating that the patient MUST be given access to this billing information, there are also no laws preventing it either. I am as surprised as you are that they will not give you a copy of this billing document. It is almost as if they are trying to hide something (sometimes procedures are billed that were not performed or mistakes are made and the only person who can sort that out is the patient). My suggestion is to ask the insurance company for a copy of the document and tell them that you simply want to review it for accuracy in billing. If the insurance company does not want to give it to you then I suggest that you contact the TN division of insurance and file a complaint against the surgery center and the insurance company (the division of insurance can force either party to give you the billing information. )

-

Here is a link to the TN division of insurance where you can find contact information and complaint forms--https://tn.gov/commerce/

-

I hope that helps. Please let me know if you have any further questions. If not, can you please press a positive rating above so I will be paid for my time. I am paid nothing unless you press a positive rating in the ratings section above. Doing so will not cost you any additional money -- it simply acts as the trigger to Just Answer to pay me for my time. THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

-

MARY

-