LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I am a practicing attorney with more than 30 years of experience in the legal field.
15277592

15 years ago when I lived in Atlanta, GA I borrowed 1800

Customer Question

15 years ago when I lived in Atlanta, GA I borrowed 1800 from an acquaintance, which was back in 2000. I left the state and moved cross country and lost contact with the acquaintance. They have recently contacted me and demanded payment after 15+ years. Question: Am I (legally) responsible for this debt after 15 years?
Expert:  LawTalk replied 8 months ago.

Good afternoon Angela,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. I am a GA licensed attorney.

Because the GA statute of limitations on which one person may sue the other for an unpaid debt is at most 6 years---and that is for a written contract (it is 4 years for a verbal contract), this acquaintance who is now asking for you to pay them back cannot sue you for the debt and you have no legal obligation to pay the debt beck at this time.

You are no longer legally responsible for the debt of 15 years ago.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. Please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am credited for assisting you.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Doug

Expert:  LawTalk replied 8 months ago.

Good afternoon Angela,

Do you have any additional questions that you would like me to address for you? In case you would like a phone call to further discuss these issues you have raised, I will make that offer to you. You are certainly not obligated to accept a call offer, but many people do find it helpful for clarification purposes, as well as to allow them to ask additional questions.

If I have provided you with the information you asked for, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you?

Thanks in advance,

Doug