Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
4460311

Can I take someone that I have been involved with years, we

Customer Question

Can I take someone that I have been involved with for 15 years, we are now separated for the last 5month to court for half of the assets including the house which is in their name?
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 8 months ago.

Hello. My name is***** am a US licensed attorney and I will be happy to answer your question.

I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.
Please note, I cannot comment on your specific situation, as this services is only limited to general information and for any legal advice / legal service you should contact your local attorney.

Were you legally married to the person you were involved with?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
no , lived together as same sex couple for 15 years

Thank you for your follow up.

Unfortunately, if there is no written agreement regarding any type of division of assets / financial support upon breakup and the couple was not legally married, neither partner would generally have any legal rights to sue the other partner for any type of assets or financial support.

I am very sorry to provide you with this bad news, but please understand that I do have professional obligation to provide JustAnswer.com customers with correct answers, even when answer is not favorable to the customer.

I wish you the best of luck and God bless you!

Please let me know if you have any related follow up questions?
If not, please positively rate and accept my answer, so I can be compensated for my work.
Thank you.