Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  15 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

My wife received a check from chase as a refund due to

Customer Question

My wife received a check from chase as a refund due to overstated interest charges and/or fees while her Chase account was in collections litigation. The court judgement of this account was satisfied between June-July 2011. The check's covering letter has the following statement underneath the signature of the auther:
Please not that, with respect to the enclosed check, you must comply with your duties under the applicable law. For example, you may have duties as a debtor or former debtor if you filed bankrutpsy.
I would like to know what it means and its implcation.
Thanks,
Expert:  Barrister replied 8 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

That means that if she filed bankruptcy during that period, then technically since that money is a refund for the period when there was a BK filed, it would have been available to creditors in a BK case and she should notify the BK trustee about it...

.

This is all assuming that she filed BK. If she didn't, it doesn't really mean anything to her. But even if there was a BK during that period, the Chase people don't notify the BK trustee and it is probably unlikely that the BK trustee would care at this point as he isn't going to want to re-open a case that is likely already closed..

.

.

thanks