Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years of experience

My boyfriend was in an accident almost 3 years ago. As far

Customer Question

My boyfriend was in an accident almost 3 years ago. As far as his lawyer says the case has been settled . In February he was supposed to go pick up a check but all the attorney had him do was sign the check to be deposited into a trust where the fees could come out. Now the attorney says that the check has been rejected and geico has to cut a new check. Is he messing my boyfriend around?
Expert:  Gerald, Esq replied 7 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow up questions you have.
I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

It does sound a bit odd that the Insurance check had a problem, but it could happen. If the check doesn't come through within the next two to three weeks your boyfriend can tell the attorney that he is contacting the State Bar to initiate arbitration proceedings.

You do not indicate which state you are in, but almost every state has an arbitration process for fee disputes with attorneys. The process is mandatory for the attorney and the decision is binding on the attorney. Google the name of your state and attorney fee arbitration to find your state's program. The costs are low and are usually paid for by the attorney and the process is informal.

I hope the information I provide is useful to you. I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow up questions, feel free to ask. Please note that I am generally unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

Please do not forget to give me a positive rating. It adds nothing to your costs but it helps me greatly. Thank you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you and only ask the same from you.

Good luck.

Please note: Information is educational and not given as legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.

Kind regards,