Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer
26798026

I was just served with a warrant on three old checks from

Customer Question

I was just served with a warrant on three old checks from 2013. One for $64, $43 and $34. Is there not a statute of limitations on serving me? Apparently the police department has had them since December of 2013
JA: The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: No
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and connect you two.
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 8 months ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

The statute of limitations is different in every state. What state are you in?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
TN

Thank you.

The statute of limitations for a misdemeanor is 12 months in Tennessee. It does not run during any time that you were absent from the state.

With that said, the statute of limitations only refers to how long police have to file charges. When a warrant is issued, that means charges have already been filed. Warrants unfortunately do not expire, so as long as the warrants were dated no later than December 2014, they are still valid.

I apologize that this was probably not the Answer you were hoping to receive. However, it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand. Please rate my answer positively to ensure I am paid for the time I spent answering your question. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. Thank you.

Good luck.