Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney
Experience:  Partner at Kent Law Group, LLC
92304199

My brother is 80 years and is in stage 3 dementia. A doctor

Customer Question

My brother is 80 years and is in stage 3 dementia. A doctor (don't know what kind 0f d0octor) indicated he is incompetent. Is this legal?
JA: The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: I have not but a lawyer in the area has indicated it is valid.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: The lawyer is familiar with my brother and knows his situation.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and connect you two.
Expert:  Olivia Kent replied 8 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney (and also an M.D.). I"ll be happy to help you in any way I can.

It is legal for a physician to declare an 80 year old with dementia incompetent. There is a specific evaluation a physician will need to do in order to make that designation, so rest assured it wouldn't be done easily and without adequate evidence to support the diagnosis.

Please let me know if you have any questions or you need me to clarify anything.

Please also submit a rating if you're satisfied with your assistance. We only get credit for the type we take assisting you if you are satisfied AND ALSO ​submit a rating. And please don't feel like we have to stop talking after you submit a rating. I'd be more than happy to continue working with you after that as well.