Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

We are studying the possibility of manufacturing a product.

Customer Question

We are studying the possibility of manufacturing a product. We already manufacture different Tools. However, never done knives and this is a Belt Knife. It is my understanding they are illegal in some states such as California but legal in others such as Florida. Our company is based in Florida. My question is, can we sell a belt knife in the USA? and if so when selling this product should we always make sure not to sell to states such as California? Should we have a disclaimer done for our website? Should we also avoid such states when importing the product into the country? ie. China to USA via California a no go vs China to USA via Miami?
Thank you for all your help.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
You can sell the product in any state where it is legal. Your website would state that the product is illegal in certain states to possess and that you are not liable for anyone possessing the product where it is illegal. The responsibility for this is on the buyer to not carry it in CA, not on you. You can sell it to anyone, this is no different than if someone from CA walked into your store in FL and bought it, this is on the buyer to not violate the laws in CA when they go home.
It is illegal to have a concealed knife in CA, but it is not illegal to possess a knife in CA, for example in your home or whatever, and these knives have uses other than being carried concealed violating the laws.