Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.

Ely, my name is ***** *****. I have a court hearing on

Customer Question

Hi Ely, my name is ***** *****. I have a court hearing on Monday for Restraining Order against my ex boyfriend. I am looking for an example cover letter to give to the judge along with a packet of evidence I have printed of emails and text messages he sent to me. Can you give me an example of how the cover letter should be written to the Judge? I nkow she is a woman and can find out her name, should I address her by name?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Yes, he sent 20 emails in total and I responded to none of them. It started 1.5 mo after I moved out and he saw me on a dating website. The emails were verbally abusing and one was threatening. He also texted my co-workers and a girl I sponsor in AA asking them to talk to him about me. Then he started emailing my work email and finally come to my place of work demanding to see me. The police were called and asked him to leave and a police report was filed and the officers directed me to file a RO.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $36 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I would also like to add a second page to the cover letter that is like a table of contents and state what each piece of evidence is by number. I will then number each item by hand in the packet that I will clip together with cover letter and TOC. Can you give me guidance on how to categorize my evidence for the TOC page, for example, by date of item attached? I have several categories: verbally abusive emails, emails expressing affection, more verbally abusive emails, threatening email, police report, text messages to coworker, facebook message to sponsee in AA, email voice recordings. Suggestions on categorizing these things and how to list them in the TOC page exactly?
Expert:  Ely replied 7 months ago.
Hello and thank you for requesting me. Apologies, I am actually in transit at the moment and so as not to keep you waiting, I am going to open this up for other experts so that you can get a quicker answer.
No need to reply to this, as this will "lock" the question back unto me temporarily, thus disallowing other experts to reply to this thread for some time.
Good luck.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok. I will wait for a reply back from the other expert. Thank you.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I would like a time estimate on when an answer to my questions will be available? I have to prepare my documents and make copies today.
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 7 months ago.

A different Professional here.

Click on the link below for sample letter to the Judge. Modify as appropriate.

As for organization of the your evidence, you want to organize the evidence with the most recent incident and work backwards.

Kindly note that you need to provide a copy of any evidence that you submit to the Court to your ex-boyfriend. You can do this at the time of the presentation of the evidence to the Court. So, you need to bring several copies of your evidence to the Court.

Kindly give a positive rating to my post so that I can receive credit for answering your question—so that part of the deposit that you already paid to the site can be transferred to me. You are not charged extra for doing this.

Thank you for your cooperation.