Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
4460311

My child (5 years old) had a seizure at school, she has no

Customer Question

My child (5 years old) had a seizure at school, she has no pre existing condition for seizures, I was called and told it lasted 5-6 minutes, No EMS were called to assess here. Upon my arrival at the school she was found lying on the floor, asleep/unconscious,and I was told by the teacher that yes it was definitely a seizure. I had to take her out in a wheelchair. I took her to the hospital it was confirmed to be a seizure. When I inquired as to why EMS were not called I was told the teacher did not deem it serious enough to call, No incident report was made, and as I inquired further I was also told that no one on staff is medically qualified to diagnosis it as a seizure. Upon further research I am unable to find an emergency Safety action plan for the school or for the school district. I was referred to a few very vague policies. The teacher and principal have recanted statements they have made and do not want to address implementing an emergency and safety action plan for the school in general. I've also had a meeting with the Principal, School nurse and teacher and was told that the teacher is you and was scared and that was her reason for not calling 911. My fear is not only for my own child but all the children in this school being safe and cared for by competent individuals.
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 8 months ago.

Hello. My name is***** am a US licensed attorney and I will be happy to answer your question.
I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.
Please note, I cannot comment on your specific situation, as this services is only limited to general information and for any legal advice / legal service you should contact your local attorney.

Do you have a legal question about the situation you have posted?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Is the anything I can do legally to make them implement an emergency action plan for all students?

Thank you for your follow up.

Have you addressed this issue with the local school board in writing?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
We contacted the superintendent's office via email, they scheduled the meeting with the principal , Nurse and teacher, that meeting did not go well as they would not address the issue of why 911 was not called and shy there is no emergency action plan in place at the school

Thank you for your follow up.

Did you daughter suffer any permanent injury or health condition as the result of the school's failure to call 911 and have emergency medical rescue respond?