Sam, Attorney at Law
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
10707909

Our son has been in prison rape 2 counts.(which has been

Customer Question

Our son has been in prison for attempted rape 2 counts.(which has been appealed many times without success even after his appeals attorney told him after his many years of experience that he will win his appeal. He is now up for parole after7+years of an 8 year sentence. His release date is early June and now he is having hearings on the determination if he is a Violant Sexual Offender. What is the definition of a VSO and why is this being brought up now as nothing was stated in court or other hearings.
G. Smith
California
Expert:  Sam replied 8 months ago.

Hello

This is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard.

Under the law, a person who has been convicted of a sexually violent offense against one or more victims and who has a diagnosed mental disorder that makes the person a danger to the health and safety of others in that it is likely that he or she will engage in sexually violent criminal behavior. You can read that CA statute at this LINK under Section 6600

The reason this is coming into play now, is because once he is released on Parole, he will be required to register. The level of sex offense, such as being a VSO, will determine how long he will need to registered, what the terms of the registration are and if he will ever be permitted to request a termination of registration.

And at this LINK you can review the CA statute on registration requirements. Take note, that even if he is deemed a Violent Sex Offender, that would not interfere with his parole release date.

Please let me know here if you have other questions or need clarification. Otherwise a Positive rating ensures i get credit for my time.

Expert:  Sam replied 8 months ago.

They didn't attach previously.