Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  15 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

My name is ***** ***** and i had a question regarding

Customer Question

my name is ***** ***** and i had a question regarding parking lots
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: yes i am a car dealer with a huge parking lot space around me is a bunch of restaurants whos visitors always ask to park their cars in my lot and honestly i dont mind i have plenty of spaces no my question is if they are self parking their cars is it illegal to charge them a small fee?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $36 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Customer: do i need a permit for that?
Expert:  Barrister replied 8 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply,but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

If this is your private parking lot, then there is nothing illegal or improper about you charging a lot fee to cover maintenance, clean up, trash removal, etc.

.

I would suggest you contact the local business licensing office to see if they require any type of license to operate a pay lot though.. And I would also check with your insurer to make sure that you were adequately covered if you let non-customers use your lot..

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Well if the customers self park why would I need insurance?
Or do u mean if they hit any of my cars?

If someone is parking on your lot that they are paying to park in, gets out of their car, steps in a rut in your lot, breaks their ankle, and then sues you for their injuries..

.

I would assume that your insurance would already cover if someone hit your cars..

.

.

thanks