Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing Attorney with 10 years experience
91018665

Not sure if it's a legal issue....my daughter is a gh school

Customer Question

not sure if it's a legal issue....my daughter is a high school senior and wanted to take part of their annual powder puff game. My daughter made 4 attempts to pay for her fees and every time they sent her away with different reasons why they wouldn't take her payment. So now they are not letting her play because of non payment. When I provided proof of the 2 checks we wrote showing she had made several attempts to pay but they didn't apply it to the powder puff game they are now changing their story tell us they aren't going to let her play because she wasn't at the mandatory meeting. I know for a fact of at least 2 players who also did not attend that mandatory meeting and the school is allowing them to play.
JA: OK. The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: no because I'm just checking to see if anything was even done wrong. I forgot to say that the whole time when I was dealing with this issue with the assit prin. he went and called my daughter into his office without my knowledge to question about the things he said he would get back to me on.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: The complicated part was the payment. My daughter asked us for a check so she could pay for her Grad night fee, the powder puff game and for her parking. We gave her a check to pay for all 3 of those things. She didn't know the total amount so we told her to just fill in the amount. The first check had those 3 things written on the check. but when she went to pay they told her that grad night had to be paid separate. So the next day she asked us for another check and we did the same thing but wrote powder puff and parking on this check and again they wouldn't let her pay for the powder puff. So the school is trying to say she can't play cause she missed the deadline. We are showing them proof that we've been trying to pay but they wouldn't take it when she tried. And since we showed them the copy of the cashed check showing her attempt to pay, they are now changing their story saying that the checks didn't matter. The issue now is that she missed the mandatory meeting. So my issue is.....if they allow those players (and I'm sure there are more) to play today. Is there any ramification if they allow those players to play when their telling us that's the reason why my daughter can't play?
JA: Our top Lawyer is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Lawyer in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Lawyer until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 8 months ago.

I am really sorry to hear this. While I do not think this is an issue that would be worth suing over since the cost would outweight the benefit but you may want to have a lawyer send a letter that they are arbitrarily enforcing their rules and this could be deemed as discrimination. They are far more likely to cooperate once an attorney intervenes.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Do you know the approx. cost of getting a lawyer to send a letter?

That really just depends on the experience of the attorney. Generally they would charge $200-$250/hr and not spend more than 1-2 hours doing it. Some may do it on a flat fee.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The powderpuff game is now taking place as I type...So the school got away with brushing us off this whole week so they could have their way by dragging out this issue to make sure my daughter didn't even have a chance to play today. We contacted the superintendent and he said he will look into it. But unfortunately he wont have any answers for the next couple of days. So I will let you know what happens. Thanks
That is atrocious. I understand rules but this was just a misunderstanding that the school could have easily addressed.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok I finally received a return phone call from the superintendent. He said he questioned everyone involved and did find that some of the staff was telling my daughter to just come to the practice anyways and to just have her parents contact the school to clear her to take part of the powderpuff game. So my daughter has proof she attended the mandatory practices (which was on of the reasons why the principal was trying to tell us she couldn't play because she missed the practices). The Principal said his reasons why he was keeping his decision to not allow my daughter to play was because she didn't attend the mandatory meeting & because she missed the practices. The Vice Principal told me that he was not going to let my daughter play because she didn't pay on time & that she didn't advocate for herself she was paying late because she was out ill and if she would of advocated for herself (back then) that she was absent then he would of made an exception to let her play. (when in all actuality...after speaking with my daughter she did tell them she was out sick, however they still failed to accept our evidence that she tried to pay twice before she got sick). I told the superintendent if my daughter was a Junior....this would not be an issue. However she is not a junior, she is a senior and this would have been her last time ever to do this for her high school years. I tried to explain this to the vice principal and the principal that my daughter has been looking forward to playing this game since she was a junior, but obviously by his staff not even wanting to listen nor try to work with us, their actions caused an emotional consequence for my daughter to have to deal with. So in return I told the superintendent if he finds any fault in his staffs actions during his investigation, I'm expecting he teaches his staff the same exact thing the schools are trying to teach our children....."there's a consequence for their actions". He told me if he did find fault then he will deal with it within their organization, but he would not be able to tell me what they did to take care of the issue. So basically I have to take his word, that he will discipline the people who did wrong to my daughter. So my question now is....Do I have the right to know how the school district took care of this incident that caused my daughter to feel discriminated against? Was the superintendent telling me the truth, that he can't disclose what they did to discipline the 3 staff members involved who cause emotional harm to my daughter? We also asked the superintendent to produce the list of all the girls signed up to play and who paid their money... and he said that would be impossible. Do we have the right to demand it? My husband and I both work for the school district and my husband is a coach and knows, that they are suppose to have paperwork on every student who partakes in any school activity. Especially an after school activity that was being held on their campus. I told the superintendent I have pictures of girls playing that game who did not attend the mandatory meeting & who didn't even pay their fee to play. My daughter doesn't want me to tell the school who they are in fear that her friends will be mad at her. That's why I asked the superintendent for that list. All I have to do is look for those girls names because I'm 100% positive I will have proof they were not following their own rules.
Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 7 months ago.

Did you request a phone call? It might be easier to talk through the issues.