Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing Attorney with 10 years experience
91018665

I had a small claims filed against me and I had asked to

Customer Question

Hi, I had a small claims filed against me and I had asked to have the meeting rescheduled for a different date due to my work schedule. I did not receive a notice in the mail of when the new date was, for whatever reason. Now today, I received a judgement in the mail for this. Can I still fight it since I really disagree with the claim in the first place? I would have attended had I know when it was, since I asked for it to be changed so I could attend in the first place.
Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 8 months ago.
How long has it been? If you are within 30 days you can motion the court for a new trial by explainkng that you had requested a different court date and that you did not receive proper notice. More often than not the judge will grant it.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
How long has it been since the judgement? Or when I asked to have the meeting rescheduled?
Since the judgement
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
3 days
No they cannot. They have to do it through the provider or employer if part of an agency.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

My apologies. I was answering another question If it has only been 3 days, file a motion for new trial. Attach as an exhibit any evidence that you asked for a continuance and explain that you believe it had been granted.